[GTALUG] Keyboards WAS Re: Thinkpad T420 as a VM host

Lennart Sorensen lsorense at csclub.uwaterloo.ca
Mon Aug 10 20:04:22 UTC 2015

On Thu, Aug 06, 2015 at 10:05:04AM -0400, Giles Orr wrote:
> I have a rather depressing variety of mechanical keyboards, including
> a couple IBM Model Ms.  To clarify my biases, I LOVE the feel of the
> IBM Model M keys.  My keyboard at work is a Kinesis Advantage with
> their standard Cherry Brown switches.  I think the Advantage's
> physical layout is about the best that's available in any keyboard
> right now: vertical columns (rather than slanted columns we still
> persist in copying from typewriters: not only is it no longer
> necessary, it's actually ergonomically bad), dished hand areas to
> match differences in finger length, and a split between the hands.
>
> I have three Kinesis Advantages.  As mentioned, one has the original
> Cherry Browns.  They're okay.  I have a second that I refitted with
> Cherry Blues: that's the one I use at home.  That's my idea of a great
> keyboard.  The Cherry Blues are about as close as you'll get to the
> behaviour of the IBM Model M buckling spring keys (short of buying one
> of the Unicomp keyboards that actually have buckling springs).  They
> have a strong tactile click when the key activates.  It's also
> audible: it's just as well I live alone, as the Blues are notoriously
> loud and irritate the crap out of people nearby (just like the Model
> M).  I refitted the third Kinesis Advantage with Cherry Clears.
> Initially they feel quite similar to the Browns, but they're stiffer:
> you don't notice it immediately, but after a couple hours of typing, I
> found it genuinely tiring to use.  I don't use it much.
>
> I highly recommend the Cherry Blues to non-gamers.  Just be prepared
> for the noise.  The bigger Canada Computers stores usually have
> several keyboards with different Cherry switches out for testing.
>
> If anyone has questions about any of this, feel free to contact me
> off-list: I've been a bit of a keyboard wonk for a couple decades.

I will stick to my keytronic (currently an E03600U2).  I hate the noise
of the old IBMs.  Fortunately the model M is durable enough to
sufficiently punish anyone who tries to use one nearby that the keyboard
won't suffer any damage and can still be used by someone else that
politely does so when they are alone. :)

--
Len Sorensen