[GTALUG] Ubuntu update gone bad

Randy Jonasz rjonasz at rjonasz.org
Mon Aug 10 01:08:29 UTC 2015

On 08/09/2015 12:09 PM, Stewart C. Russell wrote:
> On 2015-08-09 11:11 AM, D. Hugh Redelmeier wrote:
>> So I rebooted.  Now I have the prompt:
>> 	grub rescue>
>> which means I have nothing, not even Win7.  I don't think that I can type
>> anything useful into that prompt.
> Revos have an EFI bios, right? I used to get this all the time on my
> Samsung Chronos, until I blew away the dual-boot and put it back into
> legacy (aka "working") BIOS mode.
No need for this drastic action.  I've dual booted Ubuntu with Windows
using EFI without a problem.

> Boot-Repair <https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Repair> on a
> bootable USB stick will likely fix it. Under certain circumstances,
> Windows updates will routinely destroy grub, so keep this stick handy.
Yes, boot repair is an excellent tool.  The other route is to boot off
of a Ubuntu live cd, click on try Ubuntu and mount your drives to /mnt.
Chroot to /mnt and try to to reinstall grub.  Look for errors and
correct them.

Cheers,

Randy