[GTALUG] Ubuntu update gone bad

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh at mimosa.com
Sun Aug 9 15:11:39 UTC 2015

I'm writing this at the point of annoyance.  Maybe I'll find a fix in a
minute or two.

I took an Acer Revo out of service as an HTPC.  It was dual boot Win 7 and
Ubuntu 12.04 LTS.

I applied all Win 7 updates.  Fine.  Stupid, but fine.

I applied all Ubuntu 12.04 updates.  Fine.  Not even stupid.

It offered me Ubuntu 14.04 LTS.  I said to go ahead.  I almost never do
version upgrades, out of fear, but I didn't have much to lose.  And
everyone always says Ubuntu version upgrades are smooth as silk.

Negative observation one: version upgrades take more real time than
re-installations.  (But they should take less of my attention and care, a
win.)

Negative observation two: I thought that the slow upgrade process could
happen while I was asleep.  Yes, but not in one night: there were three
steps in the middle that required me to answer a question.  It would have
been better if the questions had been moved to the beginning or the end.
Fedora does that.

Negative observation three:  It all appeared to work.  The updater
disappeared from the screen (a little odd).  top(1) showed no remnant.
So I rebooted.  Now I have the prompt:
	grub rescue>
which means I have nothing, not even Win7.  I don't think that I can type
anything useful into that prompt.

Obviously the third is the lulu.

The fact that I am using LTS should indicate my risk aversion.

I will fix this but I will remember.