[GTALUG] Thinkpad T420 as a VM host

David Collier-Brown davec-b at rogers.com
Fri Aug 7 15:51:05 UTC 2015

On 06/08/15 12:00 PM, Brent Kimberley wrote:
> ‎Here is the obligatory <X> over LAN\WAN howto:
>
> http://linux.die.net/man/7/amt-howto

I just bought a T440p as a dev machine, and am running vagrant ->
VirtualBox -> CentOS 6 to run in turn a full stack of PostgerSQL,  Java
on Tomcat, Java and Scala on Play! and angular on the browser.

I barely notice it, and probably will have a couple of inactive VMs set
up, so I can switch back and forth between unrelated tasks. Build
performance is good, in part because I'm rarely compiling linking and
provisioning more than one thing at any given moment!
Eclipse/Maven/java/Scala are memory hogs, though, so I bought 16 GB of ram.

A much smaller netbook gave good build performance, but was constrained
to 4 GB, and I needed at least 8 and perhaps 12, so bought a machine
with slots (;-))

--dave