[GTALUG] gimp.org no longer in existence?

Christopher Browne cbbrowne at gmail.com
Thu Aug 6 15:51:21 UTC 2015

On 6 August 2015 at 07:49, Marcelo Cavalcante <kalibslack at gmail.com> wrote:

> > Hi
> >
> > I was trying to reach gimp.org, and it appears that its domain is
> parked. I
> > have tried different browsers, VPN, and so on, and I get to the same site
> > hosted by Domain Name Sales.
> >
> > Meanwhile, Google still points to parts of GIMP as though it still
> exists.
> > Not sure what is going on. Have they been hacked?
> >

> The interesting is that they renewed their domain today.
>
> :~ kalib$ whois gimp.org | egrep '(Expiry|Update)'
> Updated Date: 2015-08-06T08:16:07Z
> Registry Expiry Date: 2016-08-03T04:00:00Z
>
> Will probably be soon.

Based on the statuses (e.g. - autoRenewPeriod), nope, they didn't.
The registry did that automatically.  (There's standard policy about that.
See RFC 3915)

cbbrowne ~/G/stumpwm> whois gimp.org  | egrep '(Date|Server|Domain)' |
uniq
master
Domain Name:GIMP.ORG
Domain ID: D1638661-LROR
Creation Date: 1997-08-04T04:00:00Z
Updated Date: 2015-08-06T08:16:07Z
Registry Expiry Date: 2020-08-03T04:00:00Z
Sponsoring Registrar:Domain.com, LLC (R1915-LROR)
WHOIS Server:
Domain Status: ok -- http://www.icann.org/epp#ok
Domain Status: renewPeriod -- http://www.icann.org/epp#renewPeriod
Domain Status: autoRenewPeriod -- http://www.icann.org/epp#autoRenewPeriod
Name Server:NS1.DOTSTER-EXPIRED.DOMAINPARKINGSERVER.NET
Name Server:NS2.DOTSTER-EXPIRED.DOMAINPARKINGSERVER.NET
Name Server:

I wouldn't assume that all will necessarily "be well"; the DNS info is
pretty
clear about pointing it to a "parking zone".

The bit of being in autoRenewPeriod means things are a bit on "autopilot,"
and I'd kind of expect that the registrar is trying to pester the owner to
pay them.

If the folk managing the domain have forgotten about it, and email
addresses
have changed, and such, then perhaps the warnings of Deletion Coming
Soon will disappear into the aether.

If anyone knows anyone involved (e.g. - perhaps the Shawn Amundson
indicated in contact information in WHOIS), it's probably worth giving them
a poke soon-ish otherwise the domain may go away.  An email address
of form "something at gimp.org" won't work, for sure, right now.