[GTALUG] Computer Pioneers - Pioneer Computers Part 2 - YouTube

Stewart C. Russell scruss at gmail.com
Wed Apr 29 01:40:38 UTC 2015

Not quite as visually compelling as the video, but pretty deep given
their multi-decade history, is the BCS's Computer Conservation Society
<http://www.computerconservationsociety.org/index.htm>. Unsurprisingly,
it's got a heavy UK focus. It does occasionally dig into Canadian
issues, partly because of the Canadian Ferranti-Packard company's design
for the ICT (later ICL) 1900, arguably the UK's most successful mainframe.

Their journal, /Resurrection/, is very often an interesting read. The
current issue, aside from big iron restoration efforts, covers the
pre-history of the Raspberry Pi: http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/CCS/res/res69.htm

I'm kind of glad I missed out on the delay-line memory days. I /just
/remember magnetic bubble memory, but only as it was fading out.

cheers,
 Stewart