[GTALUG] Toronto Star videos no longer work

James Knott james.knott at rogers.com
Fri Apr 24 18:54:33 UTC 2015

On 04/24/2015 02:39 PM, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 24, 2015 at 02:33:30PM -0400, Stephen wrote:
>> Why would HTTPS be a problem for you, but not for others?
> Most of us don't try to turn every http url into an https url and many
> websites do NOT offer the same content on http and https and hence if
> you try you get an error rather than the content you wanted.
>
> If you use something like https everywhere incorrectly by trying to make
> it do https for everything, then things don't work.

I've found I can get the videos by disabling it for thestar.com and also
Newslook.

The idea behind HTTPS Everywhere is to use HTTPS whenever possible.
However, some sites, such as thestar.com can cause problems.  So, when
you identify those sites, you can configure HTTPS Everywhere to not try
to use HTTPS on them.