[GTALUG] Toronto Star videos no longer work

James Knott james.knott at rogers.com
Fri Apr 24 16:13:53 UTC 2015

On 04/24/2015 11:54 AM, Stephen wrote:
> That explains why sites with a huge number of video files are slow to
> move, because the space requirements double, and perhaps millions of
> lines of HTML code have to be updated.
>
> I can imagine the new HTML5 tags are now being used, but the web site
> does not yet have a good process for routinely supporting two video
> file formats.

Older videos on that site still work.  It's only recent ones that fail.
Perhaps they should be going to HTML5 with the new stuff and leave the
older as is for now.

Also, Youtube is changing to HTML5 and provides a means to make it
default for browsers that don't already favour it.  IIRC, they have more
than a few videos.  ;-)