[GTALUG] toggle notifications in GNOME 3.16?

Matt Price moptop99 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 20 16:40:23 UTC 2015

Hi Michael,

Thanks for the help!

On Fri, Apr 17, 2015 at 8:07 AM, Michael Hill <mdhillca at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Matt,
>
> On Thu, Apr 16, 2015 at 10:56 AM, Matt Price <moptop99 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I'm running Gnome 3.16 in Arch Linux. When I am working, I would like to
> be
> > able to shut off desktop notifications, preferably from the command line
> or
> > with a keyboard shortcut. I figure there must be a way to do this, but I
> > can't find a setting in gconf-settings or other likely places.
>
> I asked on the #docs IRC channel and Alexandre Franke supplied this answer:
>
> First of all, dconf and gsettings replaced gconf.
>
> gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.notifications enable true
> (and obviously it's enable false to have them disabled)

The "enable" key no longer seems to be available in
org.gnome.desktop.notifications anymore:

 ~  gsettings list-recursively org.gnome.desktop.notifications
org.gnome.desktop.notifications application-children
['gnome-network-panel', 'dropbox', 'rhythmbox', 'vlc', 'deluge', 'skype',
'guake', 'sylpheed', 'window-58', 'nautilus', 'calibre-gui', 'chromium',
'clipit', 'empathy', 'evolution', 'nemo', 'emacs', 'pidgin', 'nm-applet',
'firefox-developer-edition', 'thunderbird', 'gnome-music']
org.gnome.desktop.notifications show-in-lock-screen true
org.gnome.desktop.notifications show-banners false

so, I tried
➜  ~  gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.notifications show-banners false

that seems to have worked, though I still hear the audio notification.  I
will keep playing around and report back if I find a fully workking
solution.  Can you also point me to the IRC channel you were using? I might
try asking there if I can't understand how to fix this.