[GTALUG] moving Win8.1 with Bing out of the way

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh at mimosa.com
Mon Apr 13 14:36:03 UTC 2015

| From: Lennart Sorensen <lsorense at csclub.uwaterloo.ca>

| On Sun, Apr 12, 2015 at 12:46:37AM -0400, D. Hugh Redelmeier wrote:

| > Does anyone know how to migrate Windows?
|
| To another SATA disk is no big deal.  To USB is a totally different story.
| Not even sure if you can.

Ouch.

An alternative would be mounting a 2.5" SATA drive in the box.
Unfortunately that requires a proprietary cable that nobody seems to
be able to source.  Since there is quite a bit of demand, maybe it
will happen eventually.

Still another alternative would be to buy a replacement M.2 SSD and
install on that.  The plus is that I could buy a different size (the
original is 32M).  But M.2 drives are expensive, especially
considering the original box's cost and capabilities.

M.2 SSDs are also a bit confusing.  They come in different physical
sizes and install in spaces that may be limited.  They come in SATA
and PCI.e and so do the sockets, so you need to get that right.  PCI.e
is faster but more expensive.

Newegg.ca has or had a good price on a M.2 SATA 256G SSD but
- it was nearing the price of the whole box
- the specs didn't even give the physical length so I could not
  tell if it would fit.  Solvable if I cared enough.
- I hadn't figured out if the HP Stream Mini supports M.2 SATA