[GTALUG] New system audio problem

Stephen stephen-d at rogers.com
Sun Apr 12 03:26:51 UTC 2015

Background:

I have run Ubuntu 12.04 and earlier versions for a number of years on an
MSI motherboard and an AMD 3200 cpu. It finally died.

I build a new system on a ASUS H97M-E motherboard with an Intel i5 and
16 gigs ram.

I just connected the hard drives from the old system, and was quite
happy when the system booted and all seemed good.

Problem:

Audio is bad. Static and drops. This applies to *.flac files and online
Youtube stuff.

But when I play *.mp4 files, the video and audio are great.

My Ubuntu system is a DLNA server and and that plays fine on the client.

So I am thinking the audio driver is not a good fit for the new chip set.

Am I on the right track? Can I get Ubuntu to update to the proper driver?

Thanks

--
Stephen