[GTALUG] Git Large File Storage extension

Myles Braithwaite me at mylesbraithwaite.com
Thu Apr 9 17:23:54 UTC 2015

Giles Orr wrote:
> Github has developed a "Large File Storage" extension to git.  Written
> in Go, open sourced.
>
> https://github.com/github/git-lfs
>
> This is their blog announcement:
>
> https://github.com/blog/1986-announcing-git-large-file-storage-lfs
>
> I haven't dealt with the problems of large files in git, but I've
> heard it's ugly, so this is interesting.  I'm curious if more
> experienced git users actually think this is a good idea.

I'm currently using git-annex (using an ownCloud remote) for storing
mixtapes (large m4a and mp3 files) for a Jekyll based website I'm
working on. It works while for me because the files never change.

I'm excited for git-lfs because most of the design directories get
pretty large (~700MB) which makes it a pain to have to clone/pull from.