[GTALUG] git questions

Lennart Sorensen lsorense at csclub.uwaterloo.ca
Tue Apr 7 16:05:11 UTC 2015

On Mon, Apr 06, 2015 at 04:16:02PM -0400, Kevin wrote:
> On 2015-03-06 08:39, Aruna Hewapathirane wrote:
> >Links:
> >------
> >[1] https://github.com/magicmonty/bash-git-prompt
> >[2] https://github.com/olivierverdier/zsh-git-prompt
> >[3] http://0xfe.blogspot.ca/2010/04/improved-git-enabled-shell-prompt.html
> >[4] https://try.github.io/levels/1/challenges/1
> >[5] http://git-scm.com/book/en/v2
>
> I was forced to start using git as some of the open source projects
> I work on switched to using it for maintaining their public code
> repositories. Git is different enough from the other VCS' I have
> used that it drove me batty at first. With git I often wound up with
> my checked out code "not on a branch". I've lost code changes I was
> working on while using git. That never happened while using any of
> the RCS/CVS/SVN tools. Eventually I started to get a bit of a handle
> on git and created my own cheat sheet for it.

And at the same time a lot of people won't contribute to projects because
dealing with RCS(ok no one uses that)/CVS/SVN is way too painful.
then there is bazaar, which really would be better named bizaar, as far
as the UI is concerned.

git is different, but it's different in a good way.

Now I must admit I have no idea how one can end up not on a branch.
I have never managed that as far as I recall.  Actually maybe doing a
checkout of a specific commit number will do that, but I only ever do
that when trying to investigate when something changed, certainly never
while writing code.

--
Len Sorensen