[GTALUG] Linux on Canon camera

phiscock at ee.ryerson.ca phiscock at ee.ryerson.ca
Mon Apr 6 13:58:44 UTC 2015

> If you have a Canon PowerShot, and it's supported by CHDK, it's worth a
> try. Though the user interface for the CHDK side is terrible, it adds
> handy features like intervalometry, cable remote, extremely fast flash
> sync, and a huge set of image and video options.

Yeah, CHDK has some nice features, but it's clunky to use. To some extent,
that's because the GUI has to take place on the camera display, which is
very, very crowded - and accessed by the limited number of camera buttons
and knobs.

The gphoto2 project is apparently working on routines that would allow a
CHDK equipped Canon Point-and-Shoot to be controlled from a remote
computer. Then you could run a very nice user interface on the computer.

I'm using gphoto2 for camera control of a Canon T3i, using the Tcl
language for the GUI. I have everything working, including liveview,
although there is a bug in gphoto2 which affects this camera. (They're
working on it...)

Is anyone else on this list using gphoto2?

Peter

--
Peter Hiscocks
Syscomp Electronic Design Limited, Toronto