[GTALUG] Linux on Canon camera

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh at mimosa.com
Sat Apr 4 16:57:31 UTC 2015

| From: phiscock at ee.ryerson.ca

| From:    "daaawg" <cdaaawg at gmail.com>

| Thought this might be of some interest to Canon users:
|
| http://linux.softpedia.com/blog/Linux-Kernel-Ported-to-Canon-DSLRs-Thanks-to-a-Magic-Lantern-Developers-Video-477486.shtml

I understand that a number of camera manufacturers have their own
embeded Linux already.  Like for more than 10 years.  That also
explains why I don't remember which -- too long ago.

Even my not-smart UltraHD TV has Linux in it.

When they embed Linux, Japanese companies tend to release the source
code.  Usually not in a way that you can actually build and replace
the firmware, but at least it is released.

I strongly suspect that the only reason Magic Lantern works is because
the camera already comes with Linux.  If you read blurbs, ML doesn't
replace the existing firmware, it supplements it.  But I haven't taken
the time to check.