[GTALUG] Lennart Poettering talk on new features of systemd at FOSDEM

David Collier-Brown davec-b at rogers.com
Sat Apr 4 01:31:53 UTC 2015

On 04/02/2015 09:27 PM, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 02, 2015 at 04:15:10PM -0400, Alex Volkov wrote:
>> I thought it would be relevant to this list. Among the new features --
>>
>> https://fosdem.org/2015/schedule/event/whats_new_in_systemd,_2015_edition/
>>
>> Things recently added and being worked on:
>>
>> * systemd-nspawn -- docker-like containers
>> * btrfs support
>> * firewall support based on application id and not port numbers
>> * moving kernel console into userspace, adding high DPI and proper
>> Unicode support
>> * resolving config file path with sysctl --edit / sysctl --cat
>> * network management with networkd
>> * auditing has indexing and is included in logging
>> * support of stateless systems
>> * resolvd -- vpn support, smart dns with support per-interface cache,
>> support for LLMNR
>> * rolling avahi into systemd  is being worked on
>> * journald remoting -- remote logging with http using pull and push model
>> * logging stack traces without gdb
>> * protect system/home/tmp/devices -- setup minimal namespace
>> environments for services
>> * timesyncd -- trivial  sntp client with time saving for the devices
>> with no rtc
>> * autodiscovery of swap partitions with gptd
>> * readahead support was dropped
>> * merge gummiboot into systemd (UEFI secure boot support)
> I can see why people complain about featurecreep.

If you're building primitive functions as the main effort, and shipping
products sitting on top of thgem, this scales.  Even elegant constructs
like qef have a ton of stuff of this sort.

If, however, you're writing A dpends on B depends on C depends on A for
any kind of A, B and C, you're creating spagetti code ( or perhaps a
walled garden if it is intentional).  Both lead to business failure.

--dave