[GTALUG] Booting Jessie from USB

Lennart Sorensen lsorense at csclub.uwaterloo.ca
Wed Apr 1 14:07:07 UTC 2015

On Wed, Apr 01, 2015 at 09:08:34AM -0400, Giles Orr wrote:
> I have an Acer C720 Chromebook with Bodhi Linux installed.  I wanted
> to test Debian Jessie on the machine, so I physically removed the SSD
> and plugged in a 32GB USB stick (SanDisk Cruzer Ultra Fit, USB3).  I
> installed Jessie on it (on an ext4 partition), and added a 5GB or so
> vfat partition on the end.  When I attempt to boot from the USB stick,
> GRUB comes up and works fine, but things go sideways after that.  Here
> are some of the errors that I've copied ("..." indicates dropped
> lines, mostly duplications):
>
>      -----
>
> usb 1-4: string descriptor 0 malformed (err = -61), defaulting to 0x0409
> usb 2-1: device not accepting address 3, error -62 [repeated several
> times with different numbers]

That to me says either the USB key, the USB port, or (pretty unlikely)
the USB driver is broken.

It is certainly failing to start USB properly.

> xhci_hcd 0000:00:14.0: Command completion event does not match command

Well xhci is USB3.  Some USB3 controllers (In my experience ASMedia)
are awful and unstable in linux.

Try the USB2 port instead to see what happens then.

--
Len Sorensen