[GTALUG] New GTALUG Mailing List

Christopher Browne cbbrowne at gmail.com
Wed Sep 10 16:20:45 UTC 2014

On Wed, Sep 10, 2014 at 7:44 AM, D. Hugh Redelmeier <hugh at mimosa.com> wrote:

> I think that this will be MY LAST POST TO tlug at ss.org.
> And it is my first post to talk at gtalug.org.
>
> | From: Ken Heard <kenslists at teksavvy.com>
>
> |   I will consequently
> | unsubscribe from the old list and subscribe to the new.
>
> I don't know if the "unsubscribe" is necessary or even a good idea.
>
> How are the old and new lists connected?

They are hardly connected, really.

They're managed on separate servers, and there isn't any sort of gatewaying
between them, except insofar as one might simultaneously post to both (as
you and I have both just done).

> I subscribed on Monday evening to the new ones and have not unsubscribed
> from the old one.  I have not received any double-posts.  In fact, all
> messages I've seen seem to be from the old list.
>
> I'm sending this message to both old and new lists.  Let's see what
> happens.
>
> If there is no automatic cross-posting, one should stay subscribed to both
> old and new lists.

I agree; there is not any particular value or need to unsubscribe from the
old list.

At some point, there will be a final message, hopefully an intentional
"This Is The Final Message" one, and the old list will be turned off, no
more postings allowed.  (Sorta nice if messages "bounce" in some meaningful
way as opposed to disappearing into the aether, alas, I don't imagine that
would be easy to test, particularly as there's very little maintenance
going on in the elder environment.)