[GTALUG] Why Everyone Wants to Kill the Mouse and Keyboard

Christopher Browne cbbrowne at gmail.com
Fri Oct 31 20:13:59 UTC 2014

On 31 October 2014 15:59, Lennart Sorensen <lsorense at csclub.uwaterloo.ca>
wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 31, 2014 at 09:37:48AM -0400, Bill Thanis wrote:
> > A stylus and really good hand writing recognition software is about the
> > only thing I would give up a keyboard and mouse for.
>
> But typing is way faster than hand writing.

Absolutely.  The arguments in favour of "hand waving" tend to fail on this.

Keyboards give quick and accurate access to a sizable number of choices of
signals.

If I'm trying to control something where "graphical" considerations are
important,
then 104 switches may be tough to choose from.

But when I am trying to write an email, having 26 letters near to hand,
along with
punctuation and numerical symbols not terribly far away, in positions that
my
fingers get to remember, vastly beats waving my hands in the air.

There are enough common situations that are similar to that to make
keyboards continue to be a common meaningful solution to needs to control
computers.