[GTALUG] capturing the output of any program and inserting in db

Christopher Browne cbbrowne at gmail.com
Wed Oct 29 17:27:30 UTC 2014

On 29 October 2014 12:13, Myles Braithwaite <me at mylesbraithwaite.com> wrote:

> Dave Cramer wrote:
> > Is there anything out there that is written simply ? By this I mean I
> > don't want to have to install a framework or a jvm or any large
> > dependencies. Ideally this would be written in bash or the like.
>
> You could use the sqlite. Running something like:
>
> #!/bin/sh
> sqlite3 log.db 'INSERT INFO log (message) VALUES ($MESSAGE);'
>
> in a table setup like this:
>
> CREATE TABLE log (
>         id INTEGER PRIMARY KEY,
>         timestamp DATETIME DEFAULT CURRENT_TIMESTAMP,
>         message TEXT
> );

I'm finding I really like using command line tooling to write to syslog...

The command "logger" <http://linux.die.net/man/1/logger> writes entries to
syslog

I populate shell scripts with wee "glog" functions to wrap this...

glog () {
    local level=$1
    local notice=$2
    logger -i -p "${level}" -t "name-of-my-script.sh" "${notice}"
    echo "${level} ${notice}"
}

I then inject
   glog user.notice "Ooh, I did something!"
and
   glog user.error "oops, something went wrong - rc=$?"
and such.

If I *really* wanted to, I could configure syslog to write some messages to
a SQL database.
<http://www.rsyslog.com/doc/rsyslog_pgsql.html>

I did that for a while; found it to be more a pain than a help.  (IPv6
issues blew up the
logs on me, and I couldn't query the DB as fast as disk space ballooned
away...)

I'm finding that I [Heart] logger as a way of getting scripty apps to log
activity.

The OTHER thing I'd like is to have something materially better than cron,
unfortunately, that's a surprisingly expensive problem.  Improving on cron
looks,
historically, like it leads to the sort of all-encompassing framework
expansion that
is where (eek!) we're seeing controversies about SystemD.