[GTALUG] SystemD vs Bind9 vs IPv6

Christopher Browne cbbrowne at gmail.com
Thu Oct 16 17:32:24 UTC 2014

On 16 October 2014 12:33, Peter Platek <peterplatek at gmail.com> wrote:

> I think you might want to follow the advice below so your changes don't
> get overwritten after next update (Adjust for debian of course):
> *Q: I want to change a service file, but rpm keeps overwriting it in
> /usr/lib/systemd/system all the time, how should I handle this?*
>
> A: The recommended way is to copy the service file from
> /usr/lib/systemd/system to /etc/systemd/system and edit it there. The
> latter directory takes precedence over the former, and rpm will never
> overwrite it. If you want to use the distributed service file again you can
> simply delete (or rename) the service file in /etc/systemd/system again.

Debian won't silently overwrite the file in
/lib/systemd/system/bind9.service (barring doing some particular
configuration to do otherwise!!!); an upgrade would notice the difference,
and ask if you want to overwrite the changes.  Which points at the notion
that there's still a problem; if the options are *supposed* to be
configurable, they should go some place where they will be referenced, as
opposed to there being some question of overwriting things.

Hmm.  Looks like the customization location *might* be
/etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants/bind9.service

Yep, that looks mighty promising.  If I edit that, and check systemd status
($ service bind9 status), I get the warning that...

Warning: Unit file changed on disk, 'systemctl daemon-reload' recommended.

[wait a minute...   Seems like a closer relationship...]
root at cbbrowne:~# ls -l
/etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants/bind9.service
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 33 Oct 16 13:24
/etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants/bind9.service ->
/lib/systemd/system/bind9.service

Same file...

There's a further curiosity; I run etckeeper, to keep the stuff in /etc
under SCM control.  If systemd config isn't in /etc, it's not "under
control" (in more senses than one!).  More research warranted!  :-)