[GTALUG] open source routers

Bob Copeland me at bobcopeland.com
Wed Oct 15 20:06:39 UTC 2014

On Wed, Oct 15, 2014 at 3:41 PM, Giles Orr <gilesorr at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 15 October 2014 14:33, Dave Cramer <davecramer at gmail.com> wrote:
>> My old linksys wrtg54 with dd-wrt locks up. I am looking for suggestions for
>> a new router that will accept open source router firmware?
>
> My understanding is that, as a brand, TP-Link has been the least
> obstructive and makes pretty good products at a reasonable price:
> Canada Computers carries a number of them.  I own (among other old
> WAPs) a TP-Link MR-3020, which has worked fine - but it's not a home
> router, it's a lightweight thing for Pirate Boxes or single user
> connections.

TP-Link seconded: I just picked up a TP-Link AC-1750 (be sure to get
v2 -- v1 will not work with ath10k).  I'm planning to use it as a dev
platform for some wireless stuff.

So far everything is working fine with OpenWRT out of the box, and I
had no trouble compiling and installing my own OpenWRT build for it as
well.  Of course I say this with approximately 3 hours of uptime at
this point, so time will tell.

--
Bob Copeland %% www.bobcopeland.com