[GTALUG] open source routers

Tim Tisdall tisdall at gmail.com
Wed Oct 15 19:55:16 UTC 2014

I recently had my DD-WRT router reset (for no apparent reason... it had
been working un-touched for well over a year).  I then tried to re-set up
my printer server to find that DD-WRT was using OpenWRT packages over 8
years old that no one hosted any more.  I tried to see if there was a newer
version of DD-WRT that worked with my router and it was still the same
version number.

So, if DD-WRT is just using OpenWRT packages I'd say go with OpenWRT.  The
benefit of OpenWRT, too, is that you can package just what you need in your
flash image and save a lot of room for anything else.

Here's a blog entry I used when building my own image:
http://blog.rot13.org/2014/03/building-custom-openwrt-image-for-home-router.html

BTW, I'd recommend getting a router with a USB port.  You can turn it into
a media server, a printer server, and even set it up to use a 3G dongle...
 so many options with OpenWRT!

-Tim