[GTALUG] war story: the end of an old computer.

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh at mimosa.com
Thu Oct 9 07:33:45 UTC 2014

| From: D. Hugh Redelmeier <hugh at mimosa.com>
| Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2011 01:54:39 -0400 (EDT)
| Subject: war story (spoiler: dying power supply takes disk drive with it)

Another war story.

| I replaced the power supply with a CoolerMaster RP-650-PCAR that I
| happened to have in inventory.
|
| Still no joy.  When I turned power on, the CPU fan would jiggle once but
| there was no other sign of life.
|
| When I unplugged all the peripherals, power seemed to work.

I have a similar symptom in another computer.  I narrowed it down to
the motherboard: when everything was removed from the MB (all
connections) and it was placed on a non-conductive table, with a new
power supply, I got the same behaviour.

Since the computer is about 8 years old, it isn't worth putting a lot
of time into fixing the motherboard.  So I stopped diagnosing at this
point.

The reason I mention it is to hightlight that the symptom (when power
supply plugged in, the fans start up but shut down after a second or
less; case fan spins slowly) seems to be non-specific.

When I first encountered the symptom today, I went back in my TLUG
archives because I vaguely remembered having posted something with
this symptom.  Too bad that the old posting turned out not to be
useful.

For the curious, here is more of the old posting: