[GTALUG] flash instead of beep in zsh?

Lennart Sorensen lsorense at csclub.uwaterloo.ca
Tue Oct 7 22:25:33 UTC 2014

On Tue, Oct 07, 2014 at 05:26:28PM -0400, D. Hugh Redelmeier wrote:
> That's a strong bug vague accusation.
>
> What kinds of bugs are you thinking of?
>
> I've recently switched to gnome-terminal from xterm because its use of
> scalable fonts worked better than the standard xterm bitmap fonts on
> HiDPI screens.

Misrendering of VT100 codes.  Really annoying at times.  That being the
primary purpose of a terminal, such bugs are unforgivable.

> The only bug that I've noticed is that my JOVE editor sometimes is
> missing a few characters.  I've been to lazy to track it down but I'm
> sure that it is a termcap or G-T discrepency.  (The editor has only
> needed a couple of bug fixes this century -- pretty solid.)

It is very much the terminal doing it wrong, given every other terminal
using the same termcap is working fine.  And I highly doubt jove has
any such bugs given I have seen issues with vim, less and other programs.
It is almost as bad as hyperterm on windows was (but not quite).

I personally find konsole's tab interface and settings much more
useful too.  But it was the missing characters and other terminal
emulation issues that made me never want to use G-T again.  I haven't seen
any indication that they care to try and fix it (it is part of gnome after
all, where throwing away features every new major version and starting
over is normal, and making things users want to use is not actually
a priority).

Of course konsole went for years with a cut and paste bug where all
lines had whitespace appended to the full terminal width when you cut
and paste, which was really really annoying too, but at least all the
characters are displayed correctly, and they did fix the bug by now.

--
Len Sorensen