[GTALUG] flash instead of beep in zsh?

Jamon Camisso jamon.camisso at utoronto.ca
Tue Oct 7 17:18:42 UTC 2014

On 2014-10-07 1:10 PM, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 07, 2014 at 07:08:04AM -0400, Matt Price wrote:
>> Hi folks,
>>
>> I am trying to switch to zsh from bash.  Haven't really gotten many of the
>> benefits yet as I need to learn the advanced globbing syntax, but it seems
>> nice so far.  However, the beep is driving my crazy.  for ages I've had my
>> bash beep set to a flash, which is far less annoying.  in zsh this is
>> apparently accomplished with the ZBEEP shell parameter, but I can't make it
>> work.  does anyone have ZBEEP set to a value that actually works for them?
>>
>> I should say, I am using GNOME and gnome-terminal, which, unlike konsole,
>> does not have an option for changing the bell to a flash, so I think this
>> would have to be accomplished in the shell itself.
>
> I don't care what desktop environment you use, gnome-terminal is a pile
> of buggy shit.  Just use konsole (or even xterm is an improvement).

Sakura is my go to terminal now. It along with oh-my-zsh is a lovely
setup if you're new to zsh. It's gigantic, but once you get an idea of
what you want you can then pare it down.

I have a customized zshrc with years worth of additions so I don't use
oh-my-zsh, but I can see the appeal with the colorize and git plugins
amongst others.

Cheers, Jamon