[GTALUG] Xrandr problem

Peter King peter.king at utoronto.ca
Mon Oct 6 16:07:02 UTC 2014

I have made a bit of progress on the problem -- but only a bit.

(1) The keymap seems to be part of the problem: all the modifier keys are,
    as far as I can tell, dead.  That's why keyboard-oriented tiling WMs
    are more or less stuck (goomwwm, cwm, dwm, etc.)

(2) However, twm works as well as it ever did.

(3) I followed the gentoo guide to setting up kernel modesetting using the
    intel graphics driver, and it made things appreciably worse: when the
    kernel boots and the graphical framebuffer is supposed to take over,
    the screen simply goes black.  I can ssh in, though, and see that
    according to dmesg the inteldrmfb has successfully loaded, so what
    gives?

(4) I also got no joy whatsoever at blind-typing into the console to start
    X, which, again, I could see by ssh was supposedly running but only
    gave a blank screen.

All this on the internal 1680x1050 laptop screen.  So while it was blank,
I thought, why not, and plugged in an external VGA monitor.  Voila!  The
console came up on the external and the internal screens.  Better yet, so
did X with twm.  It seems to respond to xrandr, too.

For one last oddity, I dropped to the console, unplugged the external
monitor, and the internal screen still runs console/X just fine.  Go
figure.

This is all on a Lenovo 3000 n100 0768 model, which I recall was finicky
the last time I set it up (back in 2006 or so).  But I don't recall dead
keymaps, and, while I had to use the i915resolution hack back then, that
should all have been superseded by kernel modesetting...

Peter King			 	peter.king at utoronto.ca
Department of Philosophy
170 St. George Street #521
The University of Toronto		    (416)-978-4951 ofc
Toronto, ON  M5R 2M8
       CANADA

http://individual.utoronto.ca/pking/

GPG keyID 0x7587EC42 (2B14 A355 46BC 2A16 D0BC  36F5 1FE6 D32A 7587 EC42)
gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys 7587EC42