[GTALUG] Xrandr problem

Scott Sullivan scott at ss.org
Wed Oct 1 12:42:14 UTC 2014

On 09/30/2014 08:36 PM, Peter King wrote:
> I have an annoying problem.  I run a two-monitor setup with
> xrandr, one monitor in portrait and the other in landscape
> mode.  I set xrandr in the .xinitrc file, and it works well.
> The only problem is that when I quit the window manager (in
> this case goomwwm), the screen goes to black and I'm pretty
> sure I never return to the console (blind typing produces no
> results).  The computer itself keeps running; I can ssh in.
> Any advice or suggestions?  I can't quite figure how to turn
> xrandr *off* once it's been set in .xinitrc.  Oh, and if I
> boot without xrandr, I go straight back to the console when
> I quit X (as it should).

Hi Peter,

I'm curious to see how your setting up your screens in .xinitrc.
Can you post it?

Follow up question, do any other WMs have an issue exiting with your
xrandr setup?

For comparison, I'm attaching a script I use to setup various secondary
monitors with my laptop. As this is a laptop I defined a 'default' that
sets all other outputs but the LCD to off.

If you run it like below,

     SETDISPLAYS_DBG=0 setdisplays rightof

the script will output the command it would have run, so you can
investigate it.

     xrandr --output LVDS --auto --primary --output VGA-0 --auto
--right-of LVDS

Your output names will differ based on your hardware and potentially
your video driver.
--
Scott Sullivan