[GTALUG] Xrandr problem

o1bigtenor o1bigtenor at gmail.com
Wed Oct 1 13:57:45 UTC 2014

On Tue, Sep 30, 2014 at 7:36 PM, Peter King <peter.king at utoronto.ca> wrote:

> I have an annoying problem.  I run a two-monitor setup with
> xrandr, one monitor in portrait and the other in landscape
> mode.  I set xrandr in the .xinitrc file, and it works well.
> The only problem is that when I quit the window manager (in
> this case goomwwm), the screen goes to black and I'm pretty
> sure I never return to the console (blind typing produces no
> results).  The computer itself keeps running; I can ssh in.
> Any advice or suggestions?  I can't quite figure how to turn
> xrandr *off* once it's been set in .xinitrc.  Oh, and if I
> boot without xrandr, I go straight back to the console when
> I quit X (as it should).

I don't really know how to modify xrandr but I can tell you that part of
your problem is that
xrandr does NOT like multi-monitor setups. This I found out the hard way
when I tried to setup
my multi-monitor system. I had to not enable xrandr as part of my solution.
Perhaps some time
in the future the authors of xrandr will update their solution to better
reflect the real world.

Dee