[GTALUG] [OT] Dead motherboard or dead CPU?

Kevin Cozens kevin at ve3syb.ca
Sat Nov 29 20:14:15 UTC 2014

On 22/11/2014 7:23 PM, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> Well short of swapping parts it can be hard to determine the problem.
> Could be motherboard, power supply, CPU, ram, video card (if not onboard).

I realized that. I was hoping somone who builds/repairs computers on a
regular basis would comment on the chances that a Core 2 Duo chip failed vs.
the motherboard failing. I've ordered a replacement CPU that isn't costing
me much $. If that doesn't get the machine booting it is a MB failure.
Possibly the common issue with bad caps (although none are obviously bad)?
Caps can be replaced more easily than the replacing the MB. I'll see what
happens after I can swap the CPU.

--
Cheers!

Kevin.