[GTALUG] Cache DNS issues.

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh at mimosa.com
Wed Nov 26 05:35:21 UTC 2014

| From: William Muriithi <william.muriithi at gmail.com>

| Actually bind running on MX server is actually slave.  Sorry for
| mixing up cache and slave. Shouldn't both stop serving the zone in
| question is the TTL has expired?   If thats not the case, I guess I am
| on the wood on why its happening then as you implicitly seem to imply
| it shouldn't happen with slaves.

[checking with my 2001 edition of "DNS and BIND"]

The slave can, but need not, have a file that saves the zone across
reboots.  Clearly you want this.

Zone transfers are initiated by the slave if it reboots without such a
file.

They are also initiated if the lifetimes specified in the SOA record
have expired (refresh time, retry time, expire time, negative caching
time). NOT the same as ordinary record TTL.

(Irrelevant: zone transfers are initiated by the master when the zone data
changes.)

Of course this is about BIND 9 in 2001.

So it looks as if a few tweeks should get you something reasonable.