[GTALUG] teksavvy dsl 2 modem that runs OpenWRT

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh at mimosa.com
Sun Nov 23 01:54:23 UTC 2014

| From: Alex Volkov <avolkov at gmail.com>

| I didn't run any tests but the Internet connection but the performance of
| Raspberry Pi  didn't seem to be any different than of any other router. The
| USB controller is slow compared to modern x86 hardware, but as far as
| embedded devices go, it's pretty fast.

In theory, one reason that the RP is slow because so much goes through
a single USB interface: all networking as well as all USB.

| that combined with a single CPU that gets blocked on IO wait

Generally under Linux a CPU does not get blocked due to I/O waiting.
All processes might get blocked due to I/O waits, at which point the
CPU cannot make progress because there is no work to do.  But that's
a slow I/O problem, not a slow processor problem.

The RP does have a slow processor.  I would guess that it would be
somewhere in the middle of the pack compared with wireless routers'
processors.  But they have specialized hardware for networking (like a
pair of ethernet ports and an ethernet switch).

As always, performance guesses are unreliable (even mine!).
Measurement is called for if it matters.