[GTALUG] teksavvy dsl 2 modem that runs OpenWRT

Alex Volkov avolkov at gmail.com
Sat Nov 22 20:53:55 UTC 2014

I didn't run any tests but the Internet connection but the performance of
Raspberry Pi  didn't seem to be any different than of any other router. The
USB controller is slow compared to modern x86 hardware, but as far as
embedded devices go, it's pretty fast.

I think the general slowness of RPI comes from SD card controller, which is
limited to Class 4, i.e. 4MB/sec, and can it get a lot slower on sparse
writes, that combined with a single CPU that gets blocked on IO wait makes
everything feel pretty sluggish (remember how fast Pentium II systems
were?), but as long as local storage doesn't get touched -- USB controller
is more than adequate.