[GTALUG] how to open .asec file

Walter Dnes waltdnes at waltdnes.org
Sat Nov 22 00:09:30 UTC 2014

On Fri, Nov 21, 2014 at 03:08:08PM -0500, Peace River wrote
> Could anyone tell me a software I can open the .asec file? I saved
> some passwords in the keeper application with my old android phone. I
> then backup the file to my laptop. However, I am not able to open
> the file. the file name is com.callpod.android_apps.keeper-2.asec. I
> need to open it so that if by accident, I cannot get access to my
> old cellphone, I still have access to those passwords.

  What do you mean by "open"?  vim should be be able to open any file
that you have read privileges on.  Are you trying, as regular user, to
open a file that is owned by root with permissions 600?

  The passwords may be hashed/encrypted/whatever in the file.  In that
case, you would need to have the master key that was used to to encrypt
them, and possibly the linux equivalent of your keeper application.

--
Walter Dnes <waltdnes at waltdnes.org>