[GTALUG] debian problems

Christopher Browne cbbrowne at gmail.com
Tue Nov 18 16:40:19 UTC 2014

On 18 November 2014 00:48, Digimer <lists at alteeve.ca> wrote:

> On 17/11/14 11:55 PM, D. Hugh Redelmeier wrote:
>>
>>  From the outside, it looks as if the init system decision has taken a
>> horrible toll on debian:
>>         <http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTg0MjM>
>> Very sad.
>

> I would place more of the blame on the (childish) reaction from Ian and
others. From what I've seen, the resignations all are based on constant
abuse and stress.

> How easily people forget that it's a group of volunteers.

Right you are...

You can't expect volunteers to put up with the abuse that paid staff are
paid
to take.

>From the comments from the fellow that was working on systemd packaging,
Tollef Fog Heen,  I think there was a further, rather broader, poisonous
thing
going on, namely that a faction of those strongly against systemd were
behaving spitefully.

This parallels the way a lot of political debate goes, these days; I gather
that our municipal Fords were seeing a lot of abusive comments, as,
doubtless, did Olivia Chow, and, based on the "it's like ISIS coming to
Toronto!!!" bit, doubtless John Tory saw some of this.

The "GamerGate" thing sounds like it had a dose of the same.

I think I'm seeing it just about any time someone picks up a rock
nearby anything that has the least bit of controversy around it; you
discover that there are dreadful people saying corrosively horrible
things.

What's awful is that there are groups of people prepared to dump
poisonous vitrol, I would think, in an attempt to convince the
targets to give up and leave.

It would be pretty terrible if that led to the Debian project getting
severely hobbled.  It's awful that people that don't like systemd
(and I don't count myself too much a fan; it definitely concerns
me, technically) aren't trying to do things that are helpful to the
project, but rather pouring acid into the works.

I'm potentially an "opponent of systemd in Debian"; I don't want
the vitrol-pourers that were harassing Tollef Fog Heen to
be imagined to be part of "my side".  I don't want that nonsense
associated with me.