[GTALUG] Playing *.pls files in firefox?

Kevin Cozens kevin at ve3syb.ca
Mon Nov 17 22:46:43 UTC 2014

On 17/11/2014 2:33 AM, Walter Dnes wrote:
>    Showing my age here, I like oldies music.  An interesting site is
> http://www.fun45s.com/ but firefox won't play it for me.  Fortunately
> they give the direct stream URL on their homepage.  If I try
> http://s7.voscast.com:8376 or http://www.fun45s.com/listen.pls in
> firefox, firefox asks for a .pls handler, and I point it to mpg123.

I see from another message you already solved your problem with playing the
audio stream. My machine played the sound using the original URL with no
problem. Just as an FYI for those "playing along at home" (no pun intended),
you can put the URL ending in ".pls" in to VLC and it plays the stream.

Another trick with .pls files if you want to play the stream in something
that doesn't handle the .pls files directly is to use wget to retrieve the
.pls file then look inside it. It is just a text file and contains the URL
with port number that you can put into another player program. I've used
that trick so I could use RealPlayer to play audio streams.

--
Cheers!

Kevin.