[GTALUG] Firefox is a pig

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh at mimosa.com
Mon Nov 17 18:27:56 UTC 2014

| From: Christopher Browne <cbbrowne at gmail.com>

| But it's also not too much to ask to hope for the browser to not be
| *too* dramatically memory leaky.
|
| And It sure seems like the browsers have gotten memory leaky, even
| without resorting to Flash and Java.  It looks to me like Javascript, which
| is pretty well mandatory these days what with all the "web applications"
| using AJAX and such, can chew great gobs of memory without hardly
| trying.

Right.

I would like each "compartment" to be isolated and instrumented.  This
would give me the tools I need to kill the piggy tab, not the whole
browser.  It would give me the tool to decide whether to visit a site
in future or not.

What's a compartment?  Naively, I'd say a tab.  But maybe there is
some kind of session concept for a site or set of federated sites that
needs to be accounted for.

Being a dumb user, I immediately jump to solutions before getting to
the problem stage.

The problem:

	The browser is piggy.

	More focused: some sites make heavy demands.  I need tools
	to limit their dammage, or at least limit the dammage I have
	to inflict on myself to recover from that site's dammage.

I've whined about this before.  Perhaps I'm being thick-headed not
accept earlier suggestions but they haven't appealed to me.

Walter just suggested running a whole bunch of different browsers,
creating the compartmentalization that I'm asking for.  The the technique
he uses is sane but surely Firefox can do better.