[GTALUG] Firefox is a pig

Blaise Alleyne email+libre at blaise.ca
Mon Nov 17 16:48:20 UTC 2014

On 16/11/14 05:29 PM, D. Hugh Redelmeier wrote:
> | How many tabs and windows?
>
> Lots.  28 windows.  It isn't convenient to count the tabs (I'd have to
> visit each of the windows and count the tabs).

Firefox has tab groups btw, so you can organize lots of tabs without having to
open multiple windows:
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/tab-groups-organize-tabs

I have no idea if a single window with tab groups versus multiple windows has
any effect on memory/performance though... my guess would be probably not...

But, I figure it's worth a mention since I've found tab groups to be more
convenient than dealing with multiple windows (e.g. you can name them, search
for a tab, easily move tabs between groups, etc.).

I restart Firefox/IceWeasel periodically when I noticed the memory usage is
getting high. At the very least, it reduces the memory footprint because it
doesn't reload tabs on reboot until you first focus on them (at least, that's
the way I have my settings configured), so a reboot still saves your tabs but
won't consume any resources for the tabs you're not actually using.