[GTALUG] I stumbled on a DD-WRT drama

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh at mimosa.com
Mon Nov 17 01:10:44 UTC 2014

Kong quits development:
<http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=269247&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0>
subject: Ceasing Development
As best I can make out, he did some/most/all of the ARM side of things
(eg. for the recent Netgear wireless router).

Much wailing and gnashing of teeth ensued, as well it might.

Then it turned into a pile-on-colinsnj.  Apparently he seems to want
the GPL to be respected, and that others think that that is what drove
Kong away.  I kind of feel that colinsnj is right, but then that's why
I'm not a dd-wrt user.

Then Kong posts that it was all a joke and that he smoked out the evil
Colinsnj
<http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=269359>
subject:  !!! ~~~ YOU HAVE BEEN PRANKED ~~~ !!!

One amusing part of the last bit: Kong wants others to do more of the
work building "optware packages".  To enable that:

    I instructed basmaf to prepare an openwrt build environment in
    order to build packages that are fully compatible with dd-wrt. The
    same is needed for arm and musl now. It is a bit more difficult in
    this case as a lot of packages need some work in order to compile
    with musl, so you should have some coding experience:-)

This certainly reinforces the belief that DD-WRT folks don't want any
but insiders to be able to build dd-ware.

Some of the users seem to be suffering Stockholm Syndrome.  They don't
realize that they would not be so beholden to Brainslayer and Kong if
this was really open source.  Of course they would not have a good
Broadcom driver either.