[GTALUG] Virtual Machines Under Android?

Scott Sullivan scott at ss.org
Sun Nov 16 17:27:17 UTC 2014

First some background, then a question.

Recently, due to my laptop becoming non-usable for mobile work, I've
been taking much more advantage of my Android phone. Paired with a usb
Lenovo compact thinkpad keyboard w/ track-point, and it's surprisingly
very usable, the track point giving me a mouse courser and keyboard on a
single USB-OTG connection.

What I have found is that while you can almost use it as a desktop, it's
clearly not, and you won't get the same efficiency of use. But it's led
me thinking that this device is in many respects more powerful then my
sub-notebook laptop (less the RAM).

So the question. What have people done to run virtual machines on their
Android phones?

A few years ago I had tried out Limbo PC, which was a QEMU port to run
x86 machines on your phone. You loose a lot of performance in the
instruction set translation. I know the major Distro's have very robust
ARM package sets at this point, so I'd look at running a native Linux in
visualization.

http://linuxonandroid.org/

This comes up in searches, but on the surface looks like their using a
chroot method. Hmm... which I hadn't considered.

--
Scott Sullivan