[GTALUG] Thinkpad choices today?

Blaise Alleyne email+libre at blaise.ca
Fri Nov 14 20:13:27 UTC 2014

On 13/11/14 04:14 PM, Steve Harvey wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 13, 2014 at 08:43:58AM -0500, Scott Sullivan wrote:
>> After 4 years my Lenovo x120e has final succumbed to the rough and tumble
>> I put it through. The screen cracked and is unusable. This leaves me
>> looking for a replacement.
>>
>> I'm going to constrain this question to Lenovo options. I don't think I
>> can overcome my track-point addiction.
>>
>> Anyone purchased Thinkpad hardware in the last while? I know with some of
>> the recent models Lenovo has started messing around with the keyboard
>> design.  What are peoples opinions?
>>

>   Back in 2007, I bought a new T60 for ~$1800.  Four years later, I
> decided to buy another T60 ($400 used) as a spare instead of any of
> their latest offerings, all of which sported the trendy wide-screen
> aspect ratio which I dislike.  [...]

Not sure how interested you are in older hardware, but I too got a couple
ThinkPads in 2007 -- a T61, and my mom got an X60 which I took over a few years
back (and am typing on now).

These are my primary laptops still, though I replaced the X60 with a SSD and can
barely tolerate my T61 HDD anymore (I'm trying to figure out whether I can
figure a few broken keys on the T61, and if so, I'll get a SSD for it too).

I mention the X60 though because (a) it's an awesome little machine, and (b)
there are refurbished X60 machines for sale that come pre-flashed with LibreBoot
and pre-installed with Trisquel from this store that ships to Canada:
http://shop.gluglug.org.uk/product/ibm-lenovo-thinkpad-x60-coreboot/

Though, it looks like they're out of stock right now... not sure if they're
doing it anymore?

I started to look into the ThinkPad T430 a year and a half ago, but decided to
upgrade my old ThinkPads instead.