[GTALUG] Thinkpad choices today?

Daniel Wayne Armstrong daniel at circuidipity.com
Fri Nov 14 19:54:16 UTC 2014

On Fri, Nov 14, 2014 at 2:15 PM, D. Hugh Redelmeier <hugh at mimosa.com> wrote:

> One thought is a cheap throw-away notebook as a placeholder until
> something good comes along.
>
> [...]

> This generation of dirt-cheap Windows notebooks use eMMC SSDs: small,
> slow, and soldered in.  The M.2 SSDs used in the Acer C720 Chromebook
> we have is much better: faster and replaceable (but smaller still).
> And the C720 has a Haswell-based Celeron.  I discovered yesterday that
> it can even drive my UHD TV set (3840 x 2160 @ 30Hz).

Second the C720 Chromebook as a cheap and cheerful Linux laptop. I replaced
Chrome OS with Lubuntu 14.04. My install notes (with Synaptic config):

http://www.circuidipity.com/c720-lubuntubook.html

Bit hard to find on sale (at a reasonable price) in Canada... though Newegg
and Tigerdirect had some refurbished units on sale a few weeks back for
$170CDN.

--
(o<  .: Per curiositas ad astra .: http://www.circuidipity.com
(/)_