[GTALUG] Crypto Question: Where do you get your entropy

William Muriithi william.muriithi at gmail.com
Fri Nov 14 03:50:28 UTC 2014

>Adversaries can easily break your cryptosystem if >you don't have sufficient entropy. It's that bad.

>What sources do you use? /dev/random and >/dev/urandom are the Linux
>channel for entropy. There are various sources >that can be pooled by the kernel:

/dev/urandom does not generate entropy I think. It depends on /dev/random. The firmer just stretch the later entropy.

The problem is more acute with servers though unfortunately as most run on virtualized environment these day and since there is no console, they gave little entropy during start up.

William