[GTALUG] Thinkpad choices today?

Alex Volkov avolkov at gmail.com
Thu Nov 13 19:26:10 UTC 2014

I don't think buying an used laptop is a good idea, because unlike
desktops, specifications is not the only thing you can get in a laptop,
but also how they were used -- after several trips in my bicycle
pannier, my T420 has a couple of cracks on plastic frame near screen,
utterly broken cd-rom and several non-essential plastic parts missing.

I second T430, they can still be found brand new, and even though they
bulky and Lenovo already started messing with the keyboard at the time,
it still was usable for *nix crowd.

Also get a model with t-suffix, as in T430s(lenovo really likes letter
't'), they used to be a few hundred dollars more expensive but they
supposed to be marginally more lightweight and rugged, and more
importantly, on those models instead of useless cd-rom drive you can
install additional 6-cell battery. Sourcing that battery, however is a
bit of a challenge.

Alex.