[GTALUG] Thinkpad choices today?

Lennart Sorensen lsorense at csclub.uwaterloo.ca
Thu Nov 13 15:45:34 UTC 2014

On Thu, Nov 13, 2014 at 08:43:58AM -0500, Scott Sullivan wrote:
> After 4 years my Lenovo x120e has final succumbed to the rough and tumble I put it through. The screen cracked and is unusable. This leaves me looking for a replacement.
>
> I'm going to constrain this question to Lenovo options. I don't think I can overcome my track-point addiction.
>
> Anyone purchased Thinkpad hardware in the last while? I know with some of the recent models Lenovo has started messing around with the keyboard design.  What are peoples opinions?

I have a W530 and my wife has a T430 and they are both great.

On the [WT][45]40 models however they have apparently ruined the keyboard
and trackpoint completely.  There are no buttons for the trackpoint
anymore, it instead uses the touchpad to emulate buttons which, from
what I have read, people hate.

I do see that the Helix2 has gone back to real buttons again, so hopefully
that means Lenovo listened and will be going back to what people want
on the *50 models again.

I see some posts here:
https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/T400-T500-and-newer-T-series/Please-Bring-Back-Physical-Mouse-Buttons/td-p/1471840/page/2
that say service reps at lenovo already said the *50 models will get
the proper buttons returned and the case will be improved again.  I guess
they do listen.  Given the Helix2 already got them back, it seems quite
likely to be true.  But the current models I would not buy.

--
Len Sorensen