[GTALUG] [OT] Git Conundrum

Lennart Sorensen lsorense at csclub.uwaterloo.ca
Fri Nov 7 20:19:56 UTC 2014

On Fri, Nov 07, 2014 at 01:14:44PM -0500, Scott Elcomb wrote:
> In a wee bit of a spot :(
>
> Have a git repo with squashed bugs coming back from the dead - and a
> conference tomorrow where early adopters are supposed to be trained on
> using the software.
>
> The strange thing is that there doesn't seem to be any indication of
> corruption or bad merges.  There are a few dangling commits, blobs
> and trees but they don't look to be related.
>
> Not having run into this scenario before I'm not quite sure where to
> start.  Any pointers or suggestions?

Some people think the way to check in file changes is to make their
changes, copy their file somewhere, then checkout the current version,
replace it with their version (without merging any other changes of
course), and check it in.  It's a great way to loose changes.

Of course people simply not understanding the merge resolution in git
can also cause things to get lost.

--
Len Sorensen