[GTALUG] Collecting (g)mail

Myles Braithwaite me at mylesbraithwaite.com
Mon Nov 3 14:11:21 UTC 2014

On Mon, Nov 3, 2014 at 8:53 AM, Giles Orr <gilesorr at gmail.com> wrote:
> So has anyone got getmail fully working with gmail, or does someone
> have another recommended way of fetching gmail onto a local machine?

I'm using offlineimap with the 'realdelete no' option so I doesn't
delete the message on the remote server.

offlineimap is really cool because you can call a Python function in
it's config file. So if you didn't wanted to store your password you
could write a Python lookup function to check your Password
Manager[1]. It also allows for name translations so you can work with
Gmail annoying '[Gmail]/...' folders.

[1]: This is an example of one written for the Gnome Keyring:
<https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/OfflineIMAP#Option_1:_using_gnomekeyring_Python_module>