[GTALUG] teksavvy dsl 2 modem that runs OpenWRT

Scott Sullivan scott at ss.org
Mon Nov 3 03:29:18 UTC 2014

On 11/02/2014 07:28 AM, Scott Allen wrote:
> On 1 November 2014 20:45, D. Hugh Redelmeier <hugh at mimosa.com> wrote:
>> | From: Scott Allen <mlxxxp at gmail.com>
>>
>> | I've found TP-Link products to be inexpensive and reliable, such as:
>> | <http://www.tplink.ca/en/products/details/?categoryid=221&model=TD-8616>
>>
>> If that is just a modem, as it claims, why does it list this feature:
>>   Built-in firewall protects against Internet attacks
>
> I was puzzled by that as well. (I don't own this device.) Could be it
> was incorrectly copied from the spec's for a combination modem/router.
> There's no mention of a firewall feature in the user guide, so it's
> either incorrect or something that's not user configurable. Protection
> from buffer overflow/DOS attacks perhaps?

As I mentioned in another post, I've worked with these. The are a full
router. You never find 'modem only' devices any more. The functionality
for a router is so damn cheap. But they are also so cheap that you can
wilfully waste that router functionality.

 From a design perspective you grab System on a Chip, many which come
with two or more Ethernet devices built in, connect one of them to the
ADSL chip-set, the other to an external jack and slap it on a board with
some LEDs. A little software and your done.

--
Scott Sullivan