[GTALUG] OpenWRT and Netgear wireless router [was Re: teksavvy dsl 2 modem that runs OpenWRT]

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh at mimosa.com
Sat Nov 1 22:14:31 UTC 2014

| From: William Muriithi <william.muriithi at gmail.com>

Quoting me (not too clear from the text):

William wrote:

| That's a bit annoying, especially as you would feel you supported a bunch of scams.

In spite of the GPL, it must be legal.  Just not what we'd want.

| What brand is it so that the rest of the group can avoid the mistake?

I bought this:
A Netgear AC1450 (refurb).
<http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833122615&cm_re=ac1450-_-33-122-615-_-Product&AID=10657534&PID=749547&SID=rfdcb-d725&nm_mc=AFC-C8JunctionCA&cm_mmc=AFC-C8JunctionCA-_-na-_-na-_-na>
Quite inexpensive for the resources.  It was even cheaper a couple of
days ago: an astonishing $59.99 (but I had already made the purchase).

Resources: GigaHz LAN and WAN, dual-core ARM SOC; 256M RAM, 128M NAND Flash, one USB3 and
one USB2 port, wifi: an+ac, 3x3:3.
<https://wikidevi.com/wiki/Netgear_R6300_v2>

The firmware can be flashed to become another model, the R6300v2:
<http://advancedhomeserver.com/upgrade-a-netgear-ac1450-router-to-ac1750-r6300v2/>
I've done that.

Here's the OpenWRT forum thread on this device
<https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?id=46758>
Message 24 is where I heard that the stock firmware is a version of
OpenWRT.  25 explains why that isn't good enough.  Currently it is
partially supported by OpenWRT.

I'm using it as an access point.  It is not one of my my internet
gateways.