[GTALUG] teksavvy dsl 2 modem that runs OpenWRT

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh at mimosa.com
Sat Nov 1 16:02:00 UTC 2014

| From: Alex Volkov <avolkov at gmail.com>

| I need to get a DSL2 modem, and I like running OpenWRT when it comes to
| embedded devices -- I'm planning to run OpenVPN, ssh  server and a few
| Python scripts.

[Scott suggests you mean VDSL2.]

I have a VDSL2 modem of a brand and firmware mandated by Bell.  Even
though they are not my ISP.  The mandate is brutal: neither end of the
wire actually conforms to the VDSL2 standard, as far as I know.

I don't want to use their router or wireless for a whole host of reasons.
So I don't.  I use the thing only as a modem and have my own router (and
separate wireless access point).  My router is actually a discarded
notebook running CentOS 6.

I've heard a rumour that the Modem/Router/Access-point box makes traffic
slower if it is only used as a modem.  I've not investigated because
there's nothing I'm willing do do about it.

And another thing.  I bought a wireless router that apparently runs a
manufacturer's hacked version of OpenWRT.  But stock OpenWRT won't run
because there are no open source drivers for the broadcom wireless part.
How annoying / frustrating / disgusting.